Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Raising Responsible Kids in an Irresponsible Time!

The Umbilical Cord


I remember when my first child was born.  I vividly recall having a serious talk with her as she tried opening her eyes. I simply told her “You know they cut the umbilical cord.  That means you are no longer totally dependent on me.  Don’t get scared, I am not kicking you out!  I still have a responsibility to feed you, cloth you, ensure you are trained to handle life, and all, but, now you have to be totally dependent on God.  He is the only one who will be there at all times, I will do my part, and part of that is getting you to trust Him to do His.”
Since that day, I have echoed that conversation to her.  We have talked and laughed about me doing that to a newborn, but more than anything else, I have reiterated it to her by actually  actually DOING IT.

Gifts They Can’t Break

We really love our children, at least MOST of us do.  We like talking about who they look like and how sweet they are.   We love to talk about the strides they've made beyond their months or years.  We are proud when they take first steps, or start eating solid food, the first birthday cake mess, even when they make their  first touchdown.   Sometimes we show our love by the gifts we give them: expensive shoes, toys, electronics and clothes.  But what gifts  might we be neglecting to cultivate in them?
How about the gift of Love, Patience, Consideration, Gentleness, Wisdom, A Prayer Life, Respect of authority, Balanced self image, the Ability to make decisions governed by God.
If we give them these things, they will surpass us in this life.  If we give in to the climate of today that allows them to  think and act like everyone else, we have allowed this world to mold them.    Make a list of the qualities that you know cost much more than things, and give them those gifts.

 Privacy?


When it comes to kids, we have to talk about social media.  I see young children who have better phones than I do!  Not a problem, if that is what you choose.  But what are they really getting with the phone itself?   Are they learning responsibility or discernment as they use them?  That tangible gift alone can be broken and it can break them.  It can turn into a means that allows your child to take in more info and images than they are mature enough to handle.  The question has been raised:  How do you govern them and still trust them?  My answer, you have to do both.  First have a good relationship with them, be open and honest about what can happen and what dangers they may encounter.   Give a child responsibility based on their age, wisdom and understanding.  As they grow, give them more.  I have the passwords to both of my kids phones, (they  have mine aa well) and they know that at any time  I will ask to see what they are doing.  But then after a while that fades, because they have earned my trust. 

Roots and Wings

 

If we want our kids to be successful as we lend them to God, we must learn to give them roots.  Give them a home base that they always can run to, and it isn’t at your address!  It is in God.  They will need roots that go deeper than their relationship with you because one day you will be gone.  And truthfully we are not the standard for their lives, God's word is.  Our mistakes can give them excuses, God's word will give them a way out. His word will them  maneuver past our mistakes and will also help them avoid the generational pitfalls.   
We also have to give them wings.  The ability to dream and jump!  Following their heart as God gives them directions.  Some of what they may do might be scary, especially to us.   You may have to spot them according to the roots, but allow them to try their wings then enjoy watching them fly.

 Cleanser On the Sink

On occasion you can walk in a bathroom in my house and find cleanser with a sponge on the sink.  Because I am told that I am “A” type, you know it was not left there on accident.  It is a message to my kids that your sink needs to be cleaned.  I know when it is done because the cleanser and sponge will miraculously appear again under my sink. 
There is so much we can and should teach our children.  But in the midst of the spiritual lessons, don’t forget the natural lessons like bathing and cleaning!   Our children are not so fragile that they cannot clean, learn to cook, make their beds or help around the house.  Again, one day they will be on their own and you will not be there to cover them.  Around the age of  2, it was time for my kids to pitch in!  It started with picking up toys, putting their clothes, s, back packs, as well as putting  dirty clothes in the hamper.  This is not child abuse!  It is raising kids.  I told them there was a place for everything and helped them find or decide where it was.  I would sit with them in their room and give instruction or point to where things went.  This helped them learn with supervision so later on I could have them to do it without me.   Once everything is in place, the space is clean.   If we continue to do everything for them, they will never know the joys of a job well done, nor will they realize they too are responsible for their life.

 Challenge Your Children

If social media has taught us anything, we have learned that kids like challenges.  Whether the water challenge, cinnamon challenge, duct tape challenge, whatever it is, they like the feeling of belonging by meeting a challenge. Some challenges have proven to be dangerous and/or hurtful, but  nevertheless they've tried them anyway.  They may not have the wisdom to decide which one is good, but they like either knowing about, or participating in one.  We should join in as parents.  Challenge our kids!  I recall helping a family once who was having a difficult time with their child, I bribed him.  Told him I would take him out to dinner, his choice… if he did better in school.  He did, we ate and he continued to do well.  People don't like bribes so call it 'incentives'.  Either way, he is now in his twenties and working his purpose.   I remember when my son finally got out of the car seat, the challenge was “Every time you put your seat belt on before I ask you.. I will give you a quarter.”   I lost a little bit of money, but one day he said “Okay mommy, you don’t have to do that anymore, I get the picture.”  I now have automatic seatbelt wearers in the house. The world has caught on to the appeal of challenges, we should too. Do what you can to challenge your kids to do what is right.   

Lend them to God

“I prayed for this child,  and the LORD has given me what I asked Him for: Therefore  I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he lives he will be lent to the LORD....” – (1 Samuel 1:27-28)

I used hear  that children are ‘LENT” to us by God.  But when I studied for myself the scripture really says that WE lend them to God! 
Who would lend something precious  to someone who you knew would ruin it?  If you are a reckless driver, you will NOT be driving my car.  So it is not that God lends us His children, but we lend them to HIM.  When we do, He gives them back to us better than they would ever have been without Him.  He has the resources and knowledge to mold them into people that we never thought they could be, but He always knew they would.   Sometimes we get so caught up on giving them what we never had, we neglect to give them what we did have.  We try so hard to give them freedoms that we didn’t have and don’t consider that they  may need more structure.  We have to consider raising them by lending them to God.  By allowing His word to guide them, pointing them to Him, the only ONE who will be there for their entire journey.  He knows and will always do what is best for them, He loves them.
I encourage you today, whether you are a parent, guardian, or perhaps you are a mentor or person of influence in the lives of children... Take time to teach them responsibility and love for all people.  Teach them God's mind about authority and how to have peace in a land that might feel divided.   If we leave them to themselves, we have lost them. 

Our greatest natural resource is our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment