Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Double Minded Decisions!



Decisions. 

Everyday we are faced with them in one form or another.  Sometimes they are as simple as what to eat for dinner, other times as difficult as taking a loved one off life support.  Either way decisions can be difficult to make and at times we can find ourselves doing nothing.  Sometimes we may inadvertently choose to allow the decision to 'make itself'.  By doing nothing, we don't really feel responsible for the outcome and can easily point the finger to the process or person that made the decision for us. 

The bible says this in James 1:5-8:


If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.   But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.   For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;   he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.


One thing that I have noticed in this election, is that anything we hear in the news can sway us.  One candidate was caught on tape, polls down for them, up for the other.  The other candidate has emails leaked, polls down for them, up for the other. 
 
This is not as much an indictment on the choices we have for President as it is an indictment towards us. It would be different if one candidate had NEVER said anything bad about women before and this was a new development; or if the other candidate had NEVER lied or used a personal server before. They are people with flaws that we all know about.  The problem is that we are easily moved, tossed to and fro with every newsfeed or post. 
  
The bible tells us in James that when we ask God for direction and begin to doubt, 'it is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.'  That means we are subject to whatever blows our way.  Being that unstable means that we forfeit God's move on our behalf.  "For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;   he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."
 
This is the same in your everyday life.  God desires to give you wisdom.  Not just for this election, but for life.  He makes Himself available for us for every decision.  The bible says to "Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your path."  That is a promise for you and I.  You can ask Him about the simple things and the most difficult.  I talk to Him about how I drive, how I interact with people on my job and even how to raise and encourage my kids.  Life was never meant for us to go alone, He is there.  To make good decisions in the past,  I used to put a PRO and CON list together.  I would list what looked good for me and my family, what was good for others and what about the decision would glorify God. If I discovered I was the only one benefitting, then I knew my decision was probably selfish.  I would also think in terms of my purpose and what God called me to do.  That helps us when deciding.  Of course, glory to God always gets extra bonus!  Then I would pray about my list and ask God for directions, especially since His ways are not mine.  God always helps me, even afterwards when I feel unsure.  I hold onto the fact, I asked my Daddy God, and He always comes through.
 
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach,
 and it will be given to him,  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting,


 
I encourage you today to seek God about life's decisions, ask Him for wisdom and trust that when you make the decision, He is able to guide you through every storm.  Even if the winds begin to blow and you see the waves of despair developing, know that if you sought Him and He has given you direction, He will keep you even in the midst of it all.  Remember the story of Peter walking on the water? Peter was actually walking on water!  It was not until he saw the waves and winds that he began to sink.  Jesus immediately reached out to him and caught him. And He asked Peter "Why did you doubt?"  Know that God is pleased by your faith, trust Him and no matter what, He will make it good for you. 
 
 
Oh, don't forget to vote!  If by chance you already did, .......  REST.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment