Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Love Your Neighbor?


 

THE DOG

He was really cute.  You could tell he was just a puppy from the kind of happy look on his face as he knocked a hole in the fence. Even though his face showed innocence, his actions were that of a full grown boxer. Not only could he go THROUGH  the fence, he could also jump up and down (standing in place) and clear the height of the fence,  even jump OVER it!   Let’s call him Zeus.
As cute as Zeus was, he was a real threat to my garden, potted plants,  Zoe- (my dog) and any and everything that might unexpectedly find itself in his path.  
The first time he made his way over the fence, like a good neighbor, I went to his owner’s  to inform them that Zeus had cleared the gate.  There were at least 3 cars in the driveway surely someone was home.  No one answered .  After knocking for awhile, I proceeded to go back home, and write a note to put on their door.   I walked back around the corner, to their house and attached the note to the door and went back home. Once I got home, I went to check on Zeus to be sure he was not into anything, just to discover he was gone!  The neighbors had removed him during my trek back to their house.  So, they were home.

 

THE PROBLEM CONTINUES

As we continued having issues with Zeus, jumping the fence, we would often hear his owners fighting with him, trying to get him under control.  He was a puppy but strong.  We even heard one day that he was loose in the neighborhood, we were safe inside, but he was scaring the kids as he looked for someone to play with.  One day Zeus decided not to go over, but through the gate.  The hole was gaping, it would need repair and once again Zeus was in our yard sniffing around.  I took my neighborly walk to the house again, fewer cars, but this time I could hear the kids playing upstairs, that is…. until the doorbell rang.  Then, NOTHING.  I thought maybe they didn’t hear it, so I rang again. Still, NOTHING.   I stood for a moment in case they needed to see who I was, then left again, back to my house around the corner.  When I got there, I could hear someone fighting with Zeus to get him inside.   Later, I could see the image of …let’s call him ‘Wilson” (tool time neighbor) as he repaired the fence.  
 
Then it dawned on me…. They'll probably NEVER answer that door.  Why, I don’t know.  There are plenty of reasons neighbors might be leery of each other.   We don’t want people in our business, we don’t particularly like to be bothered with people once we get home from work or maybe we have other issues that make us avoid each other, deep rooted issues.  Either way, God told me to love my neighbors.  So, I tried not to think ill of them, they have a right to their own privacy.  As of today, Zeus either ran away to find a better challenge, or they got tired of him getting in trouble for antagonizing the neighbors on the other side.  Now Zeus is gone, but our neighbors remain.
 

 

THE UMBRELLA

Recently I noticed something odd in my back yard.  I came home from church, and there it was… an umbrella.  Not the kind we use for rain, an outdoor patio umbrella laying in my yard.  I instantly recognized it.  It belonged to Zeus’ previous owners.  The wind kicked up and must have moved it from its base, and there it was, in my backyard.   My first thought was to trek to the neighbors house to let them know it was back there, but then I remembered.  They don’t answer the door.  So I thought, maybe I can close it and place it on their front porch.  Or I can do nothing.  I chose to do NOTHING.
 

THE TEMPTATION

The temptation now is,  what  shall I do when they discover the umbrella is missing and look over the fence?    I can go to the door and pretend I am not home!  At least for the afternoon, or even a few days...  Whatever shall I do?  Will I finally see “Wilson’s” face? 
 

THE WORD

 A day or so later my doorbell rang early in the morning, and I answered it.  The ruffled woman had a really weird look on her face.  Almost like she pulled the short straw.  I greeted her, and she began telling me about the umbrella.  I chimed in nicely and invited her into my home.  Then we walked together to my back yard and I grabbed the umbrella and kept it closed it as she balanced it.   It was a brief encounter, but one that I am glad I had.  She apologized for the mishap and I quickly shrugged it off and blamed it on the inclement weather we had been experiencing in the area.   We chatted briefly about my hammock and umbrella that also  lost their bases.  We went back to the front door, she thanked me, and I smiled as I closed the door.
God tells us to love our neighbors.  He does not tell us to agree with them all the time, nor does He tell us that we will like each other.  But loving people should be easy for those of us that believe because Love resides within us.  In less than 10 minutes, I didn’t change her opinion of all her neighbors; I don’t expect an invite to her family reunion or Christmas party.  But for a moment, her perspective of me, no matter what it was at first, had opportunity to be challenged. Next time she still may  not answer the door, and that is okay.  Changing how people think of you means being willing to allow them to think what they want, and if you get a chance, you show them more. Don't expect a follow up blog saying that we are now shopping buddies!  But whenever you have an opportunity to enter someone's space, allow His face to be seen. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment